Combine vacation with work
Despite the fact that Kenya is a popular travel destination, the standard of living on the whole is still lagging behind many countries, especially outside of the large cities. As a volunteer in Kenya, there are numerous projects you can make a contribution to. As an ambassador, you will go to Kenya for a longer period of time to dedicate yourself to various goals. In this way you will not only be contributing to the development of the country, but also to your own personal development. As a Smile To The Future ambassador, you can devote yourself to pursuing positive change in one of the following areas:
- Sustainable projects
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Medical projects
Eligibility requirements for Smile To The Future ambassadors
- You are at least 18 years old
- You are flexible and likes to take initiatives
- You are pro-active and show respect for other cultures
- You like challenges and finding creative solutions
- You will apply for a Certificate of Conduct (VOG – Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag)
- You will take part in the preparation training of Smile To The Future
- 2 months of volunteer work: €750,-
- 4 months of volunteer work: €1500,-
- 6 months of volunteer work: €2250,-
- 8 months of volunteer work: €3000,-
- 12 months of volunteer work: €4500,-
- An extra month of volunteer work: €375,-
Included in program cost:
- Orientation and supervision by the Travel Department of Smile To The Future
- A personal introductory interview
- A Kenya handbook; complete preparation from A to Z
- A quotation of the flight ticket – can be applied after booking and is non-binding
- Help and advice regarding visa application
- Participation in preparatory training with Smile To The Future
- Pick-up from the airport and transportation to the accommodation
- One-day on-site orientation
- Accommodation and meals for the whole trip
- Supervision from a partner organisation
- Emergency number – 24 hours a day – 7 days a week
- An evaluation with Smile To The Future after return
- A certificate of proof of participation (upon request)
Not included in program cost:
- Administration fees: €50,-
- Transportation to the project, which will be between $20 and $40
- Supervision fees: €85,-
- Flight ticket to Kenya
- Cancellation insurance
- Work and travel insurance
- Visa fees
- Fees for the Certificate of Conduct (VOG)
It is possible to start your adventure in Kenya at any time. Arrivals in Nairobi, Kenya are to be scheduled for any given Sunday. You will be pick up from the airport and brought to the accommodation and on Monday, you will start with the orientation day, during which you will receive all relevant information about the projects, transport, money, safety, etc.
Do you want to receive more information about the possibilities for departure? Feel free to contact the Travel Department at Smile To The Future at email@example.com
Smile To The Future invests a lot of time and effort into properly preparing you for your trip. Proper preparation is a must to ensure that you have a positive experience abroad. We will briefly explain the steps in the preparation process:
- To apply, please send a motivation letter, CV, preferences for the trip, length of accommodation, and intended start date to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once you have sent everything, we will carefully review your application and evaluate whether you are good fit for the program. If this is the case, we will invite you to an introductory interview.
- Once everything is confirmed, you will receive extensive information about your upcoming trip. You will receive a handbook, sign our code of conduct, and receive an invitation to participate in the Smile To The Future pre-departure training. At this point, you can book your flight, and we will be happy to help you!
- In the meantime, you can continue with other preparations for the trip including vaccinations, the visa application (if applicable), and arranging your travel insurance. The Travel Department is here to answer all your questions.
- About 3 weeks before departure, you will receive the latest travel details. Everything will be organised and arranged and our partners and supervisors will be looking forward to welcome you. You are ready to begin your adventure!
Accommodation and meals
During your stay in Kenya, your meals are not included. However, we will arrange all the necessary facilities on your behalf. You have a kitchen at your disposal and you can always ask for help. This is a great opportunity to discover the local culture by doing grocery shopping at the local markets. You will stay in a guesthouse in Nyeri (Central province). A beautiful experience!
When you go abroad, you usually book some time beforehand. After all, you need time to prepare for your trip after you book your ticket. Unfortunately, unexpected circumstances can arise and that make it impossible for you to participate. With cancellation insurance, you are insured for these unforeseen circumstances and you are guaranteed to receive a refund of all costs incurred by the cancellation.